life with my 3 sons

Saturday, January 08, 2011

OK, so I know that nobody reads this blog, but that's OK. I think I'm going to use it more for me, to keep a record of my sewing, and maybe a little about my boys.

First, my new year's resolutions are mostly regarding sewing & shopping. I want to make, instead of buy, my clothes this year. However, I will 'allow' myself to buy a jeans, which I'm not brave enough to make yet, and possibly a cardigan or two. I'm addicted to cardigans. oh, and all underclothing. I don't make that either. Of course, less than a week into the new year I bought a t-shirt. In my defense, it was on clearance, was cream & black striped, and something I had been wanting to add to my wardrobe for some time. I totally forgot about my resolution until I got home. Oh, and another temptation will be the H&M that is opening in the mall that adjoins my office building. At least I have a few months before that opens!

My favorite thing to make is skirts, so I've decided that I need to make a top in between each bottom. This is a challenge for me because the fitting issues for my lower body are way easier to fix (take a wedge out of the centre back) than the issues I have with tops. I think my back is a larger size than my front, and I have broad shoulders & long arms. Oh, and a defined waist. My waist is the part of my body I like to emphasize the most. It will be good for me to sew tops so I can hopefully figure some of these fit issues out.

Last year my goal was to sew an article of clothing for myself each month, and I achieved that, plus a couple of extra items for me & a few things for my boys. This year my goal is 2 items of clothing per month for me. I believe that's doable.

I don't have a set plan for the year. I saw on someone's blog that they had decided what to work on each month for the first 6 months of the year. I don't think I can do that. However, I do have an idea of some things I want to make this year:

- A wrap dress - I have the pattern & fabric. I've only started sewing knits, and I'm really, really enjoying it.
- Pants. I have a difficult to fit body, and I really want to start making my own dress pants. I have fabric, I just need to find a pattern.
- denim jacket, but in a pea coat style. I don't have the denim, but I know I have a pattern somewhere in my collection of Burda magazines. I plan on binding all the seams with bias tape. Maybe I should get a cute cotton print to use, and a bias tape maker.
- A parka. I have some black & white mini-houndstooth - yards & yards of it, actually, and I'd like to get some white flannel to underline it, and I'll need a lining fabric as well. I have the pattern.
- Khaki skirt - have the pattern & fabric
- Brown & navy work skirts - have the fabric, just need to decide the patterns. Burda has so many cute skirts, it's hard to decide, but I'll be grading down at least one Burda plus size skirt - possibly from the Jan 2011 issue.

That's not a comprehensive list, but ti's what has been on my mind the most.

Today I finished a pair of pants for my youngest son - review to come. I'm working on a Burda 09-2010 turtleneck that I should have finished today as well. Then I need to sew up a pair of pants for my oldest - they are already cut out, I just need to stitch them. After that I think I'll do the leggings & long top from the Jan 2011 Burda, simply because I'm having fun with knits, and they look SO cozy! Of course, the weather, being cold & windy, probably contributes to that desire. I'm not sure I'll ever wear the leggings out of the house, but they will be nice for lounging!

There, now it's in writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home